Caramelised Carrots & Onions With Balsamic Vinegar
This time our recipe is a tribute to two staples of English agronomic tradition, onions and carrots, enhanced by (THE) Italian condiments, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar of Modena. And imagine if these products are all biodynamic: you make the world a better place with your delicious meals!
- 500 gr carrots, peeled and cut into long sticks
- 5 tbsp biodynamic extra virgin olive oil
- 8 red onions peeled and cut into strips (not too thin)
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp biodynamic red wine
- 1.5 tbsp biodynamic balsamic vinegar
- Scald carrots in boiling water or oil, remove after 3 minutes and place under cold running water, drain well and dry on a teatowel. Warm up the oil in a pan, fry carrots, onions and thyme over a low heat for 30 mins.
- Add sugar and red wine and leave for a few minutes. Add the vinegar and continue to cook until it thickens, for about 5 mins. Remove thyme and serve.
You can also leave it in the fridge and use for the following 2 days or freeze it.
How to use caramelized carrots & onions? We think they are fab with cheddar, goat cheese or mozzarella. Not to talk about eggs. Amazing with sausage if you eat meat. A lovely complement for salads. Said that, all you need is to be creative. Upgrade your sandwich, make a fab pizza with mozzarella, sausage and caramelized onions, try with scrambled eggs, garnish your bruschetta, make a funky version of soffritto, you name it!