How to Prepare Cheesy Garlic Vegan PULL-APART Bread at Home
Garlic pull apart bread is a popular snack. If you add cheese it’s awesome! With coffee or tea, it makes a great way to start your day with a boost of energy and flavour.
But let’s have a look at a healthy vegan alternative of cheesy garlic pull apart bread. We’ll turn a classic into a healthier snack!
Ingredients for your vegan Pull Apart Bread
- 3 tsp of instant yeast
- 1 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup warm oat milk
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- To brush on:
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 / 4 tbsp of fresh herbs finely chopped(rosemary, sage) and 1 tsp of oregano and thyme
- 6 cloves garlic crushed into a paste for a stronger taste or 1 tbsp of garlic powder for a more delicate taste.
- Salt to taste
- Mix the olive oil with herbs, garlic and salt for the final brushing.
- Mix the wet ingredients (water, extra virgin olive oil, oat milk, apple cider vinegar) with coconut sugar and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients, bread flour, whole wheat flour and instant yeast.
- Gradually add the mix to the wet ingredients, until you have a smooth, sticky dough. Work the dough for about 10 minutes.
- Once you’ve formed a smooth ball, place it inside a large greased bowl, cover it and let it rise until doubled (ours tripled), in a warm place (about 1 / 1.5 hour). In winter allow more time and place it close to a heather.
- Work the dough for a couple of minutes and when it has lost some of its volume, divide it in two.
- Make a 30cm square (about 15mm thick) with one of the halves and brush with half of the extra virgin olive oil and herb mixture.
- Cut the dough in 12 squared pieces and place them in layers in a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle vegan cheese on every layer.
- Repeat for the other half and put the 12 squared pieces in another loaf pan. We used two 25x15cm glass baking dishes.
- Brush any of the remaining olive oil mixture.
- Cover the pan and let the squares rise for about an hour.
- Preheat the fan oven to 220°C and bake for 10 minutes (230°C with convection oven), then reduce to 175°C and bake for35 min with a fan oven and 50/60 with a convection oven. We have a fan oven and our vegan pull apart bread came out golden brown, so keep an eye on it during the last 10 minutes.
- Put the loaves on a rack to cool for 15 minutes then separate the squares and…try to stop eating! Good luck!