Ring Cake Recipe with Mild Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (With unrefined sugar, wholegrain & unbleached flour. Dairy free version available)
After trying the Colomba recipe over the weekend (stay tuned for this!), we had some stunning Abel&Cole organic milk leftover so Daniele baked up a storm. He opted for a much sought after (by me) ring cake, Ciambellone in Italian, which we love having soaked in oat milk. It’s definitely higher in sugar than our average breakfast but if you have a very busy day ahead involving a lot of walking around, it’s just what you need! Or you can leave it for a weekend treat.
So, having already compromised with sugar, I won’t with butter, and what better way to experiment with our mild organic extra virgin olive oil? See below the list of ingredients and the preparation process. Being an Italian recipe (my Mum’s!), it’s in the metric system. I attempted a conversion in the imperial system that will probably require a digital scale, and in US cups too.
520gr - 18.5oz - 4 heaped cups of organic flour, half unbleached white and half wholegrain
260gr - 9.5oz - 2.5 heaped cups of organic sugar, half demerara and half muscovado
30gr - 1oz - ⅓ cup of organic cornstarch
4 organic eggs
200ml - 6.6 fl oz - ¾ cup + 4 tsp mild organic extra virgin olive oil
450ml - 15 fl oz - 1 + ¾ cups of organic milk or alternative milk for a dairy free version
A quarter tsp of organic orange essence
A quarter tsp of organic vanilla essence
A quarter tsp of salt
10gr - 0.35oz - a level tbsp of bicarbonate of soda
65 ml - 2.2 fl oz - 4 tbsp of organic apple cider vinegar
Half tsp baking powder
- Mix eggs with sugar and whisk until well combined. The mix has to grow a bit due to the whites incorporating air. A hand mixer would be handy here :)
- Add milk, mild organic extra virgin olive oil, orange and vanilla essence and mix again.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients: flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and finally apple cider vinegar
- Grease and flour the cake pan. Our pan is 28cm radius x 6cm high (11in x 2.4in)
- Cook for 40 minutes at 180°C / 356°F with a fan oven and 195°C / 383°F with a static oven
- Cooking tips. Never open the oven door for the first 30 minutes and if kids are around, create a “no jumping” area :) Raising is a very delicate process and can be affected by many factors.